Eric Goldman writes:
41 California privacy lawyers, professionals, and professors are urging the California legislature to make major changes to the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), which the legislature hastily passed in 2018. The letter highlights six significant problems with the CCPA, including:
- The CCPA affects many businesses who never had a chance to explain the law’s problems to the legislature;
- The CCPA imposes excessive costs on small businesses;
- The CCPA requires businesses to waste money complying with multiple privacy laws;
- The CCPA degrades consumer privacy in several ways;
- The CCPA’s definitions are riddled with problems; and
- The CCPA reaches beyond California’s borders.
The text of the letter is on Eric’s site, linked below. A PDF copy of the letter is also available.
Read more on Technology & Marketing Law Blog.
via Joe Cadillic