Jul 092009
 
 July 9, 2009  Posted by  Business, Non-U.S.

British police said on Thursday they would not reopen investigations into the interception of celebrities’ mobile phone voicemails by journalists, despite new allegations against a Rupert Murdoch newspaper.

[…]

Assistant Commissioner John Yates of the Metropolitan Police said the original probe had concluded that phone tapping had occurred in only a minority of cases. All those victims had been informed, he said.

‘Their potential targets may have run into hundreds of people, but our inquiries showed that they only used the tactic against a far smaller number of individuals,’ Yates said.

‘No additional evidence has come to light since this case has concluded. I therefore consider that no further investigation is required.’

Source: LSE.co.uk

Times Online has the full text of John Yates’ statement.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.