Hunton & Williams write:
On February 12, 2015, the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada released a research report entitled Privacy and Cyber Security – Emphasizing privacy protection in cyber security activities (the “Report”). The Report explores the interconnected relationship among cybersecurity, privacy and data protection, including common interests and challenges.
The Report illustrates some of the current and growing challenges for data protection and cybersecurity including:
- the growing complexity of managing and providing security for cyberspace;
- the growing sophistication and “professionalization” of cybercrimes and hackings;
- the future focus of cyber criminals on the mobile sphere;
- the risks of “big data” and “big data” analytics to individual privacy;
- the failures of companies and organizations to prioritize breach preparedness; and
- the shortcomings of a “check the box” approach to compliance with data protection laws, and the need for effective risk management and dynamic implementation of security.
Read more on Privacy and Information Security Law Blog.