Dec 092009
 
 December 9, 2009  Non-U.S.

Chris Williams reports:

The government’s plans to limit DNA retention from those arrested but not charged or convicted may not go far enough, according to the body that ensures human rights rulings are obeyed.

Last month the Home Office said that – in response to a defeat at the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) – it would cut the retention period to six years for all arrestable offences. DNA fingerprints are currently held indefinitely, except in special circumstances at the discretion of chief constables.

[…]

The Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe* yesterday welcomed the planned changes in England and Wales, but said it was yet to be satisfied they would comply with the European Convention on Human Rights.

Read more on The Register.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.