Mike Masnick has the scoop on TechDirt, along with the draft bill and some related documents. Mike writes, in part:
So, should this bill pass, the Commission would have 16 members, with the Republicans and Democrats each appointing eight, and that eight that each party appoints would be one person from each of the following fields:
- Global commerce and economics
- Federal law enforcement
- State and local law enforcement
- Consumer-facing technology sector
- Enterprise technology sector
- Intelligence community
- Privacy and civil liberties community
That’s actually… not a bad mix overall, though obviously who is appointed will make a huge difference in terms of whether or not we have a useful commission or one that will declare the impossible (and dangerous) possible.
Read more on TechDirt.