The Congressional Research Service recently issued, “Changes in Airport Passenger Screening Technologies and Procedures: Frequently Asked Questions”
Bart Elias Specialist in Aviation Policy
November 23, 2010
The FAQ covers the following topics:
- What Changes Are Being Made?
- What Prompted These Changes?
- What Is Advanced Imaging Technology and How Is It Being Used?
- What Is the Funding for AIT?
- How and Where Is AIT Being Deployed?
- Where Else Is AIT Being Deployed?
- Is AIT Effective?
- Is AIT Efficient?
- What Specific Changes Have Been Made to Pat-Down Procedures?
- Why Do the New Screening Procedures Raise Privacy Concerns?
- What Has Been Done or Proposed to Allay Privacy Concerns?
- What Concerns Have Been Raised Regarding Religious or Cultural Sensitivities?
- Does WBI Have Potential Human Health Effects?
- What Screening Options Do Passengers Have?
- What If Passengers Have a Specific Complaint About Screening?
- What Alternative Screening Techniques Are Available?
- Have These Issues Been Addressed in Legislation?
Read the FAQ on FAS (pdf)