Gretchen M. Shipley writes:
School districts should also be proactive in asking key questions from online operators and sites made available to students, like:
- What type of information does the operator collect from students?
- Is the information used for commercial purposes? (If so, a school cannot consent on behalf of the parent.)
- Is the information shared with third parties?
- Are parents able to view and delete information collected from students? (If so, a school cannot consent on behalf of the parent.)
- What security measures does the site operator take?
- What are site operators data retention policies?
Read more on EdSurge.